Saturday, April 3, 2010

appreciating a good health practitioner, because all my other doctors suck

Probably the longest running professional relationship I have is with my physiotherapist. She works at the Artists' Health Centre at Toronto Western Hospital and I am pretty sure she's a genius. At the very least she's the most gracious person alive to have put up with me for the past six years - six years!! And it's been the same injury.

Obviously, I was a dumbass about it. Not that I wasn't trying to apply the techniques she was talking about, just that it's one thing to relax a bunch of muscles and stand in a different way in a health practitioner's office, and it's another when there's a ballet teacher yelling at you (again, why did I put up with that or go there or stay there? nevermind).
(The good news is that they are finally starting to settle in, wow o wow).

Her techniques and principles are all totally, totally different from any physiotherapist I've ever been to - they're better. Actually her understanding of How You Should Stand Up is more complete than that of any dance teacher I have ever heard speak about it. I'm glad I've been lucky enough to have seen her for so long, I don't think I would be be able to dance if I hadn't started seeing her.


Anyway, point of all of this is that I'm writing a paper half about physiotherapy right now, and I've had to read a lot about physio, it's history, techniques, commonalities etc and the other day I was getting a treatment and I said 'you know, I've been reading about physio and I don't think you're a physiotherapist' and she said 'THANK you.'. She does this really unique kind of somatic movement therapy thing that makes me feel like duh, no wonder I've hated every other physiotherapist I've ever seen, I don't actually LIKE physiotherapy, I just like her.

I can be really stubborn (surprise) and really set in my ways, but that also means that I can be very loyal. She's probably the only person who I believe everything she says, and I'm always willing to concede that I am wrong about something if she says so.

---

This all coming on the tail of having found out from my family doctor that I have PCOS, they found it five years ago, and no one ever told me. The best.

---


Whatever, yesterday a bunch of us hung out in the park for like five hours, then Julia and I got dinner at the lakeview, then I ran into Gwen and we yelled about stuff and hugged for five minutes, then I took a really long bike ride and loved life, now I'm writing two papers, cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment