Friday, April 8, 2011

A variety of insecurities including being not-well-informed enough to comment on political-comment-blogs

anyway sarah carr writes one of the more well-informed and interesting blogs I have ever read (in particular for this being the start and it never somethingorother ending), and recently she posted about the prejudice and bureaucratic mess of being half-Egyptian and wrote, as usual, a really thoughful and informative, and not to mention really funny, post on the matter.

I commented on it, only I commented on the wrong post, and then had to go back and post my comment AGAIN on the right post, which made me feel pretty dumb, but my comment was that I’m a canadian reader, and one thing your blog always does for me is offer a pretty good view about how people everywhere are pretty much the same, unfortunately.

to wit:

“…particularly during the revolution when I heard gems such as “we don’t want you [non-Egyptians] in our country” and “go back to your country”. Yesterday during a march I got “why are you here?” and “Get out the way, foreigner” by a Hardees delivery prick on a moped.”

Replace “Hardees delivery prick on a moped” with “Trucker douchebag in Levis” and that could be a card-carrying rural midwesterner so oft maligned. Or, in my home country’s case, like the time I heard a lunatic on the subway yelling at a (Chinese) public transit employee to “go back to his own country” (shouty man was black and wearing a JAMAICA sweater, btw, ps, sidebar, Canada is nobody’s country except the people we murdered for it).

Good to see that maddening nationalism bordering on racism exists everywhere, imagine all the people etc.

But I think the original point I failed to make in that comment was that shit like the racism outlined in this essay sort of points to something very obvious that I can't seem to put into words.

No comments:

Post a Comment